On those busy nights when dinner seems like an obstacle to overcome, you need some good quick dinner recipe ideas that take 20 minutes and taste like a million. What could be easier than a stir fry? A little beef, onion, and pepper stir fried with a few seasonings, and you have one of those sure to please favorites. Once you have the vegetables and meat sliced, everything goes very quickly. A couple of quick stirs and 15 minutes of simmering.
Remember to start the rice before cooking the Pepper Steak. The rice will take a little longer and should be started first. Serve with a frozen egg roll if you like, or perhaps some egg drop soup. Bring out the chopsticks and have a little fun.
Chinese Style Pepper Steak
2 pounds boneless top round steak
¼ cup vegetable oil, or less as needed
3 medium size green peppers, sliced
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/3 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, mince
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
Hot cooked rice
- Slice the steak thinly across the grain. This is easier if you partially freeze the steak.
- Brown the steak in a little hot oil in a large skillet.
- Add the green peppers, celery, onion, garlic, broth, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables and beef are done.
- Combine soy sauce, water and cornstarch; stir well. Add to meat mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over rice, Serves 8. Chopsticks are optional.